Cathedral of Santa Maria del Bosco
Diocesi di Cuneo ( sec. XVII; XIX )
Via Seminario, 3, Cuneo, Italia
Santa Maria del Bosco, a small oratory subject to Pedona Abbey, became one of the most important parishes in Cuneo after the elevation of Mondovì to diocese in 1388.In 1683 the church was able to house 14 altars belonging not only to the town’s noble families but also to the various craft guilds (shoemakers, weavers, vintners, etc.). The building underwent various interventions during the 17th century, including reconstruction to designs by Giovenale Boetto (1657–62) after the collapse of the dome in 1656. It survived the demolition of the town walls by the French and was elevated to cathedral with the establishment of the diocese in 1817. In 1863-66, with the construction of the Neoclassical façade, the building was connected physically – with arcades – and ideally with the nearby square (today Piazza Galimberti).There are numerous works worthy of note in the church: the stone baptismal font (1490), attributed to the Zabreri workshop; the beautiful 18th-century choir stalls and the imposing altar of the chapel of the Rosary, with red marble spiral columns, from the church of Sant’Agostino in Mondovì. Among the paintings, of particular importance is the choir altarpiece, a Virgin and Child with Saints Michael and John the Baptist, by Andrea Pozzo, and 17th-century canvases from the chapel of Saint Joseph, attributed to Caravoglia. Worthy of note is the wooden crucifix attributed to Plura and found in the eponymous chapel..
From the end of the Middle Ages, the church of Santa Maria del Bosco already vaunted a considerable number of altars, representing patrons like noble families and the city’s professional guilds, including millers, winemakers, weavers and shoemakers. Formerly dedicated to Saint Bernard, the chapel was purchased in 1715 by the Compagnia degli Osti, the guild of innkeepers and dedicated to their patron, Saint Andrew. The corporation of hatters then brought the cult of Saint James to Santa Maria del Bosco, to flank that of Saint Anthony Abbot. Social changes in the 19th century were reflected in the devotional sphere: the cult of Saint Job, patron of silk-makers, replaced that of Saint Zita, patron of the Pious Society of Maidservants, introducing Saint Anne as patron of the women working in the textile mills. Worship of Our Lady of Solace still flourishes.
|Lun-Dom||07:00 - 12:00||14:00 - 19:00|
Aperta e liberamente visitabile
The building may be visited at the times indicated unless a religious function is in progress
- Cattedrale di Cuneo
- type of building
- Via Seminario, 3, Cuneo, Italia
- food venue